Geology is the science that deals with the origin, history, and physical structure of the earth and its life, as recorded in rocks. It is a science essential to the petroleum industry because most petroleum is found within rocks far underground.
In this module you will learn:
- What are petroleum and hydrocarbons
- What is geology for exploration and production
- Planetary forces that form and shape rocks
- The structure of the earth and the rock cycle
- Processes and environments in which sedimentary rocks are formed
- Sedimentary rock types and some of their characteristics
- Types of rock layer deformations and the processes that cause them
- Examples of petroleum rich deformations
- Elements and processes in a petroleum system that convert the organic matter in source rocks into trapped hydrocarbons
- The properties that rocks must have to serve as oil and gas reservoirs
- Pressure variables associated with petroleum reservoirs
- Types of petroleum traps
- Chemical makeup of petroleum and characteristics of the hydrocarbon molecules
- Types of crude oil, their composition and measurement
- How natural gas and crude oil are related in associated gas and solution gas
- Lesson 1—Petroleum Geology Overview
- Lesson 2—Rock Cycle
- Lesson 3—Sedimentary Rocks
- Lesson 4—Rock Deformation
- Lesson 5—Origins of Petroleum
- Lesson 6—Petroleum Reserves
In order to successfully complete this module you will be required to:
- Go through all the lessons in the module.
- Complete the practice items.
- Complete the module quiz with a passing grade of 70%. You will have 2 chances to complete the quiz.
At the end, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. It should take you approximately 90-120 minutes to complete this module.
For multiple licenses or to use the material in training, please contact us at 800.687.4132 or 512.471.5940 or by sending an email to email@example.com.